CAN AYURVEDA CURE MIGRAINE?
Migraine refers to recurrent episodes of headaches followed by nausea, vomiting, photophobia, and phonophobia. It may last for hours or even a day, and the pain can severely affect your daily activities. Migraine often occurs in four different phases, which includes:
- Prodrome phase: In this phase, you will experience constipation, mood swings, food cravings, thirst, and stiffness in the neck.
- Aura Phase: At this stage, you may witness bright spots or flash of light, blurred vision, needle-like sensation, weakness, or numbness in the body, inability to bear noise, and light.
- Attack Phase: At this phase, the pain gets triggered to one side of the head. With every passing minute, it grows severe and unbearable. You will be intolerant to any sound, light, or motion in the room.
- Postdrome Phase: At this stage, the pain decreases, but you may feel weakness, confusion, dizziness, and nausea.
According to the WHO (World Health Organization), around 3000 in a million people suffer daily due to migraine attacks. But in Ayurveda, there are medicines, treatments, and therapies available to reduce the frequency and intensity of pain caused due to Migraine.
Migraine & Ayurveda
According to Ayurvedic scholars, Migraine is caused due to an imbalance between the Vata and Pitta. There are etiological factors that may also trigger Migraine, such as:
- Smoking or smell of cigarette
- Insomnia or unable to sleep for continuous 7-8 hours
- Daytime sleeping or irregular sleeping
- Excess swimming or spending too much time in the water
- Excessive sweating or vigorous exercise for a prolonged period
- Mental stress or emotional trauma
- Excessive alcohol consumption
Ayurvedic treatment for Migraine
Our Ayurvedic doctors in Pune offer a classic strategy to manage the Migraine and pain. The treatment includes medicines, tonics, oil, and self-help remedies. Other than that, leading Ayurvedic hospital in Pune has issued some tips to manage the pain and reduce the suffering.
Tips to reduce migraine pain
- To get rid of nausea and vomiting sensation, drink ginger tea, or boil a cup of water and add ginger. Drink it at least 2-3 times a day for good results.
- Apply lavender oil over the forehead to calm your mind as it works as a mild sedative.
- Women can apply rosemary oil to restore hormonal imbalances.
- Ask your Ayurvedic doctor for herbal oil. Drop 2-3 drops in warm water and inhale it for better results.
- You can also apply the Ayurvedic oil on your forehead and try to sleep.
- Drink freshly brewed peppermint tea or massage your temples with peppermint oil.
- Make sure you sleep for at least 7-8 hours with no disturbance.
- Avoid stepping out in too much hot or cold weather.
- Reduce or avoid eating excess spicy, sour, salty, or bitter food items.
- Quit smoking or exposure to the strong smell of cigarette, weed, and drugs
- Enroll in a yoga class to manage your stress levels.
- Perform Brahmri Pranayama, a breathing technique where the humming sound calms down the nerve cells and your brain to alleviate the pain.
- Add magnesium-rich food items in your diets such as almonds, eggs, milk, peanut butter, cashews, and sunflower seeds.
By giving up your unhealthy lifestyle and procrastination to give up bad eating habits, one can surely prevent Migraine. To manage the pain and reduce its frequency, Ayurveda offers safe, effective, and affordable therapies. To learn more about Migraine or other health-related problems and treatments, you can visit our website or get in touch with one of our trained and certified Ayurvedic doctors in Pune.